3 tablespoons canola oil margarine
1/2 cup firmly packed brown sugar
3 bananas, peeled and sliced in 1/2-inch slices
1 cup granulated sugar (I used 3/4 of a cup as I do not like very sugary desserts)
1 banana, peeled and cut into chunks
3 tablespoons canola oil
2 tablespoons skim milk
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/2 teaspoon grated lemon or orange peel
1 cup all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
1) Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
2) Melt canola margarine in 9 x 9-inch (1.5 L) cake pan, placed in oven for two to three minutes.
3) Remove pan from oven. Stir in brown sugar. Arrange sliced bananas in a single layer in brown sugar mixture.
4) Place egg, granulated sugar, banana chunks, canola oil, milk, vanilla extract and grated peel in food processor or blender. Process until smooth.
5) In a large bowl, combine flour, baking powder, cinnamon, baking soda and salt. Add banana mixture to flour mixture. Stir until blended. Pour batter over bananas in cake pan. Bake for 25-30 minutes or until cake tester inserted in centre comes out clean.
6)Cool for 5 minutes in pan set on wire rack. Invert onto serving plate. Serve warm or cool. Best served on the same day.